Every day in America, our communities are torn apart by gun violence. But it does not have to be this way – we demand safe communities and safe futures for our children and families. We envision a future when we can be safe on our streets, in our grocery stores, at our schools, during faith services, and more.
GunSense NH, a project of Granite State Progress, and the NH Gun Violence Prevention Coalition has worked for more than a decade to protect and advance common sense public safety laws. Since 2009, our organization has monitored firearms related policy at the state level, working with other state-based and national groups and advocates to advance public safety laws and defeat dangerous gun lobby sponsored legislation.
In 2023, GunSense NH and the NH Gun Violence Coalition remain committed to our goal to reduce gun violence and save lives. Our work continues to grow stronger and bolder, and we welcome to our team the GunSense NH Youth Advisory Board and our first-ever Guns to Gardens project team as we continue to deepen support for gun violence prevention and work urgently toward the critical policies our communities need.
Scroll Down Menu
- New Hampshire Gun Violence Prevention Bill Tracking
- Gun Violence Prevention Speakers Bureau
- Get Involved in NH Gun Violence Prevention Coalition
- GunSense NH Youth Advisory Board
- NH Gun Violence Prevention Coalition: Guns to Gardens
- Be SMART for Kids and Mother’s Dream Quilt Project
- Gun Violence Prevention Vote Records (pending for 2023)
- Report from GunSense NH – Year 2022 in Review
New Hampshire Gun Violence Prevention Bill Tracking 2023
Below are 2023 bills dealing with firearms in the New Hampshire State Senate and State House. If you have any questions related to these bills, email email@example.com.
- HB 59, Closing Background Check Loopholes
- HB 32, Gun Free Schools
- HB 78, Repealing Sununu’s 2022 Partial State Nullification Law
- HB 106, Extreme Risk Protection Orders
- HB 76, Creating a Waiting Period Between Purchase and Delivery of a Firearm ITL
- HB 351, Safe Storage of Firearms
- HB 444, Guns in Polling Places ITL
- SB 244, Enhanced Penalties for Creating Fake School Shooting Alarms
- HR 8, Calling on Congress to Pass Assault Weapons Ban
- HB 474, State Nullification of Federal Firearms Laws
- HB 305, State Nullification of Federal Firearms Laws
- HB 512, State Nullification of Federal Firearms Laws (Industry)
Looking for facts and information about firearms? Our go-to source is the Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence which provides data and analysis, as well as trends in federal and state legislation. Check out the New Hampshire page. We also recommend Center for American Progress for timely news.
NH Gun Violence Prevention Speakers Bureau
Join members of the NH Gun Violence Prevention for a timely update on state and federal action to reduce gun violence, how to take action, and other efforts to build the broad, visible public support for safe communities. Our speakers include individuals impacted by gun violence, staff and leadership from coalition partners, student leaders, and champion elected officials. Request a speaker today.
Join the NH Gun Violence Prevention Coalition
The NH Gun Violence Prevention Coalition has worked together for more than a decade to protect and advance common sense public safety laws. Members include gun violence prevention advocates, moms, medical professionals, gun owners, veterans, law enforcement, elected officials, school administrators, educators, students, and faith leaders, and organizations representing various constituencies. The coalition is convened by GunSense NH, a project of Granite State Progress, and meets weekly. To become a partner or individual member of the coalition, please contact us.
GunSense NH Youth Advisory Board
GunSense NH, a project of Granite State Progress, launched its Winter/Spring 2023 Youth Advisory Board. Open to youth ages 13-23, YAB members have the opportunity to learn more about gun violence prevention and gain skills to engage in legislative advocacy, media work, and public education around common sense public safety laws to save lives. Working together, YAB members have a hands-on opportunity to organize a community or statewide action. This is a free youth leadership program and cohort, and support is available for students who need help with transportation to attend in-person GunSense NH Youth Advisory Board events. For more details (including how to share this opportunity in your community), contact GunSense NH Youth Advisory Board Curriculum Director Judith Kurtz and GunSense NH director Zandra Rice Hawkins. Youth can apply here.
Guns to Gardens
Join GunSense NH, a project of Granite State Progress, and members of the NH Gun Violence Prevention Coalition as we plan our first “Guns to Gardens” project in 2023 for community members interested in voluntarily surrendering firearms that they no longer want and do not wish to sell. This novel program has been held in several other states, and we are excited to bring it to New Hampshire! Currently, community members who have unwanted firearms have no way to dispose of them other than to give them away or sell them. Guns to Gardens helps take firearms off the market by repurposing them into something more useful, and less harmful, to our community. To learn more, inquire how to give away a firearm, or volunteer on our Guns to Gardens Planning Committee, contact our Guns to Gardens coordinator Nancy Brown or see the below action steps.
- Sign up on our form to learn more or volunteer
- Donate to our NH Guns to Gardens program
- Download our flyer and post in your community
- Share our Facebook event
- Follow GunSense NH and Granite State Progress on social media to stay up to date and share (GunSense NH Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) and (Granite State Progress Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok)
Be SMART for Kids and Mother’s Dream Quilt Project
Public policy is only one avenue for reducing gun violence. Join our partners at Moms Demand Action for some of these other opportunities to take action. Contact Moms Demand Action to get involved.
Be SMART for Kids. Children and unsecured guns are a dangerous, and all too often deadly, mix. Responsible adults–both gun owners and non-gun owners alike–can help prevent tragedies that result when kids get ahold of unsecured guns. The Be SMART program provides five simple steps that we can all take to prevent children from accessing guns.
Mother’s Dream Quilt Project. Every mother dreams of a happy future for her children. Unfortunately, too many American mothers see that dream shattered by gun violence—which has become part of the very fabric of our country. Moms Demand Action has created The Mother’s Dream Quilt Project to symbolize the human toll of gun violence in America, and mothers’ shared dream of a country where all our children will be safe.
Report from GunSense NH – Year 2022 in Review
Together, GunSense NH, a project of Granite State Progress, and the NH Gun Violence Prevention Coalition defeated several gun lobby attempts in the first half of the legislative session to expand New Hampshire’s Stand Your Ground law, put guns on college campuses and in high traffic public places, and preempt state and local officials from enforcing or cooperating with federal firearms laws. Our wins were critical – and also unprecedented during the same legislative session that Republican lawmakers introduced a school voucher scheme, passed the first abortion ban in modern NH history, and banned public educators from teaching important issues and lessons regarding racism, sexism, and ableism.
We are proud of these wins. However, the corporate gun lobby is relentless, and with Republican majorities in the Senate, House, and Governor’s seat, in the second biennium of the session we lost on bills to exempt brandishing a firearm from the reckless conduct law, allow loaded firearms on OHRV’s and snowmobiles, and preempt state and local officials from enforcing or cooperating with federal firearms laws. However, our coalition worked together to substantially weaken the state preemption bill during the legislative process and then helped defeat it further during implementation of the law (see below). At the same time, our legislative champions introduced critical bills to close background check loopholes, create waiting periods, establish extreme risk protection orders, and implement a state gun free schools law.
Major Highlights of the Past Year:
- GunSense NH, a campaign of Granite State Progress, and our director Zandra Rice Hawkins were honored with a national award for campaign leadership by Campaign to Keep Guns off Campus. Our work to prevent campus carry from taking place in New Hampshire spans several years of successful campaign efforts.
- Our multi-pronged, strong campaign to highlight the dangers posed by HB 1178, the state preemption bill, included months of public education and communications activities, such as community briefings with school administrators and educators; collecting 1k postcard petitions in 10 days to handmail to the Governor; press briefings with members of law enforcement; and providing memos and case examples for Democratic leadership and other champions. Despite passage of the law, our non-stop campaign resulted in the NH Attorney General releasing guidance that essentially invalidated major portions of the law. According to the AG’s memo, teachers and school staff are allowed to report suspicious firearms activity without fear of retribution or loss of employment, and state and local law enforcement can engage in more public safety efforts than the sponsors intended. This was a huge win for our coalition and public safety in New Hampshire, and is the best outcome possible for a dangerous bill that was signed into law.
About GunSense NH: GunSense NH, a project of Granite State Progress, works to protect and advance common sense public safety laws. GunSense NH convenes the NH Gun Violence Prevention Coalition, members include survivors, gun violence prevention advocates, moms, medical professionals, gun owners, veterans, law enforcement, elected officials, school administrators, educators, students, and faith leaders. GunSense NH also works closely with and provides support for the NH Gun Violence Prevention Legislative Caucus, which our organization helped establish.